Rather than Defend Its Make-Believe Claims in the Anthony Weber Case LA County Settles Suit for $3.75M: White Cop Shot Black Man whose hands were visibly empty, Denied Medical Care & Lied About It

anthony weber 23.jpg

From [CBS] The County of Los Angeles Board of Supervisors approved a $3.75 million settlement in a federal civil rights lawsuit against sheriff’s deputies in the shooting and killing of a 16-year-old Black boy, authorities announced Tuesday.

Deputies shot and killed Anthony Weber on Feb. 4, 2018, near the 1200 block of 107th Street in South Los Angeles after a foot chase ensued after police told Weber not to move.

Authorities responded to the area after hearing reports of a young man pointing a handgun at a motorist.

Arriving deputies said they saw Weber at an apartment complex that was as a known gang hangout and claimed that that he a handgun tucked into his waistband.

The deputies reported that as they were approaching Weber, he began to run from them.

When one of the deputies was about five to ten feet behind him, he turned and looked at the deputy “as if he was acquiring a target” and reached for his waistband, according to the summary.

One of the deputies then fired 13 shots at Weber.

“Both deputy sheriffs immediately drew their duty weapons, pointed at (Weber), and the first deputy sheriff yelled, `Let me see your hands!”‘ the summary stated.

They "could clearly see" a handgun in his waistband, the summary said.

Considering it was nighttime, the level of detail given by one deputy of the gun was unusual [or in-credible]. He said it was a Smith & Wesson M&P semi-automatic pistol with black Talon grips and a red dot sight.

No weapon was ever found by investigators at the scene. Authorities have said that they believe the weapon may have been picked up by a passerby after a large crowd formed after the shooting occurred.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, a gun matching the description of the one alleged to be in Weber’s possession when he was killed was later retrieved in a residence search of an alleged gang associate [that is, the gun was possessed by someone else - without more, such facts have no relevance to this case].

Weber’s parents filed a lawsuit with Los Angeles federal court in May of 2018 claiming that Weber was unarmed when he was shot.

The complaint said, ‘At the time of the shooting he posed no imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to anyone especially since he was unarmed and his hands were visibly empty when he was fatally shot.

After shooting Weber multiple times, the police did not timely summons medical attention for Weber, who was bleeding profusely and had obvious serious injuries, and police also did not allow and prevented responding medical personnel on-scene to timely render medical aid/assistance to him.

After the shooting the officers involved made false statements to investigators and made false statements to the media in attempts to justify the shooting of an unarmed 16 year-old kid.’ [MORE]

“Anthony Weber committed no crime,” attorney Gregory Yates said last May. “He was unarmed and posed no threat to anyone. These deputies acted as judge, jury, and executioner when they fired multiple shots at an innocent kid.”

Sherrif’s deputies denied these claims - but settled the case for millions.

“Anthony was a devoted, loving son and young father whose life was tragically cut short,” co-lead counsel Dale K. Galipo said last May. “We intend to prove that under the color of authority, the deputies engaged in excessive force and violated the young man’s constitutional rights.”

In the aftermath of the shooting, the courtyard of the apartment complex where he was shot “was flooded with people who were trying to get to the subject and the deputies,” according to a sheriff’s statement released following the shooting.

The board approved the settlement on the advice of counsel who cited the risks and uncertainties of going to trial.